To get rid of unwanted hair, people try an array of things but one in particular that works is waxing.
One benefit of different waxing services is that not only does this method work but it works on virtually any part of the body to include the back, chest, legs, underarms, face, stomach, bikini line, feet, hands, arms, etc.
While the removal of hair is only temporary, the results last longer than any other type of hair removal process.
In most cases, once waxing has been performed, hair would not regrow for two to four weeks, sometimes longer because hair is pulled out rather than just shaved or buffed off.
Once removed, skin is left looking and feeling soft, making this a great choice especially for the summer when people wear shorts and swimsuits.
Choosing a Waxing Professional
It would be imperative to choose a professional esthetician or cosmetologist for any waxing services being considered. This would ensure the results are exactly as expected or even better and that the process is done correctly to prevent injury or serious irritation.
The professional should offer years of experience specific to the type of waxing and the area of the body being done but also hold a current license to practice. In most cases, the better waxing professionals work for high-end spas and salons.
The Process of Waxing
The process of waxing involves special wax that has been warmed and then applied to a specific part of the body, followed by a strip of paper or cloth being pressed onto the location.
Then very quickly, the paper or cloth would be pulled off in a direction opposite of hair growth. Along with the wax, hair and even dry skin cells are removed. The first time waxing services are used, some degree of redness and/or irritation would be expected but this does not last long.
Keep in mind that with waxing services, hair regrowth is much softer and less course and in many instances, the amount of hair regrowth is less.
With waxing services, different types of wax are used depending on the amount of hair, desired results, and even the customer’s preference. These options include the following:
- Cold waxing is an option but in most cases, it would be used for hair removal at home opposed to services offered in a spa or salon. Rather than the wax being applied to the skin, it would be placed directly onto cloth strips, which would then be placed on the area of the body that needs to be waxed.
- Warm wax is one of the more popular choices. In this case, the consistency is creamy with an almost honey like texture. The area of the body would be cleaned, dried, and dusted with talcum powder, followed by the warmed wax being applied using a special roller or wooden spatula. After application, a paper or cloth strip would be pressed onto the area and pulled in a direction opposite from hair growth.
- Hard wax, which is also called stripless wax, is much thicker than other types of wax. Because of this, paper or cloth strips are not required. Once hard wax sets, it would simply be pulled off. Usually, wax of this kind is best used on area of the body that tends to be more sensitive such as the upper lip, bikini line, and underarms.
- Hot wax is just as the name implies, wax heated to a much greater temperature while still being within a safe range to use. This type of wax would be applied and used without paper or cloth strips. After being applied to the area needing hair removal, the wax would cool and then pulled.
Important Rules for Waxing
Regardless of the wax being used, the area of the body being treated, or the specific type of waxing service being purchased, certain rules would apply to ensure the most effective and safest outcome. The following are typical rules you would be advised of when choosing waxing services:
- Shaving would be prohibited for up to two weeks before being waxed
- No sunbathing for 24 hours before and after the treatment
- The area should be gently exfoliated a day prior to waxing
- Any type of heat from tanning beds, saunas, or steam rooms should be avoided for a full 24 hours after receiving a wax
- A list of medications should be provided to the professional providing waxing services in that sometimes side effects may occur
- Waxing should only be done once opposed to seeking waxing services from more than one spa or salon within a short period